This blogpost is one of 'firsts'. I'm not a stranger to making handmade books and journals but there are many different techniques and types of journal. When my friend, Karen, asked some advice on making a cover in the style of a Midori (an Italian, leather-bound travelers note book, not the melon flavoured liqueur), I decided it was time that I gave that style a go. I must add that she wasn't hinting and didn't expect me to make one. She just wanted some advice.
Because this type of journal is in the style of a Midori, it is commonly called a 'Fauxdori'. I asked Karen lots of questions about what she uses her individual, stitched notebooks for and she told me that she draws out weekly diaries, finances, birthdays and events etc. She has a lovely style of creativity herself and I'm sure she is perfectly capable of doing this herself, which was her intention. She doodles toadstools and circles and was prompted to ask me about a Fauxdori after seeing my Bubbles notebooks.
Obviously Paperartsy sprang immediately to mind, and JoFY stamps in particular. I brayered Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylics in all of the blue and turquoise shades over an A3 sheet of Strathmore mixed media paper. I darkened it when it was too pale and lightened it when it was too dark. I carried on brayering in this way until I was happy with the look. Then, because Karen had liked the bubbles, I used my favourite Donna Downey stencil, called 'Bubbles', funnily enough. I lightly stenciled Antarctic through the bubbles using a makeup sponge, then Snowflake through JoFY's Bloom and Grow flower stencil (PS008) and finally, Guacamole through the lettering. I stamped a selection of JoFY stamps strategically all over. I left it to dry and turned my hand to making some things to dangle from the journal.
The current Paperartsy challenge on their blog is Beads, Charms and Dangles. (That's handy, isn't it?) There are some YouTube videos on the blog to inspire you amongst all the other inspiration there. One is the Leandra Bead and another is European Paper Beads. I had a strip of paper trimmed from the Fauxdori masterboard which meant that I could make dangly bits that perfectly matched the cover in colour. I really enjoyed making these beads (except for the time when I dropped a molten bead on my hand... Oh and also the time when I dropped another on the carpet!)
The Leandra Bead
European Paper Beads
I couldn't guess the measurements for the cover so I stitched 5 single signatures, each with 6 sheets of A4 160gsm paper. Then I marked on the inside of the journal where the scorelines should go for the spine. I added 5 eyelets on each end of the spine. This is when I realised that I had measured from the wrong end and had to trim some of the stenciled lettering away just to make it look even.
I threaded some elastic that complemented the turquoise shades through the eyelets on the spine. This forms a secure attachment for the signatures. I chose a larger eyelet and some more elastic in the same colour for the closure. I attached the beads so that they dangle from the top of the spine. A large knot wasn't adequate to keep the beads attached and it disappeared up the central core. A small jump ring threaded over the elastic fixed this issue and actually looked much neater than a big, scruffy knot.
Then it was just a matter of finishing touches.
I used a combination of Sakura Gelly Roll pens (Glaze, Moonlight, Stardust Galaxy and Metallic), Dylusions paint pens in black and white, Fresco Snowflake and Sherbet, and even a thin swipe of Diamond Ice Stickles over the dragonfly. Basically, anything that I could put my hands on.
Love and peace x
I'm linking this up to Paperartsy's 2016 Topic 16: Beads, Charms and Dangles challenge.